Earning Merit Badges
Introduction to Merit Badges
You can learn about sports, science, trades, and future careers as
you explore and earn more than 120 merit badges. Any youth in Scouts BSA can earn any merit badge, at any time.
Steps to Earning Merit Badges
- Choose a subject and get a signed blue merit badge card from your
Scoutmaster. They'll provide you with the name and contact
information of counselors for that merit badge.
- Use the buddy system. Another person must be with you at
each meeting with the merit badge counselor: a Scout, parent, other
relative, or friend.
- Call the merit badge counselor to set times to meet and work on requirements
- Read the merit badge pamphlet and create a plan with your counselor
- When you're ready, contact the counselor to set up a meeting where you'll show what you've done to complete the badge
- When your counselor is satisfied that you've met all
requirements, they'll sign your blue card to give back to your Scoutmaster
- Your Scoutmaster or Advancement Chair will get the badges for you
Congratulations, you've just earned a merit badge!
Scoutmasters and Advancement Chairs
Your role is to ensure Scouts have the opportunity to earn merit badges by connecting Scouts to approved Merit Badge Counselors.
- We maintain lists of merit badge counselors by district, that are updated monthly.
- Fill out a Merit Badge List Request Card; bring, send, or email it
to the contact listed on the
back of the request card. They will process the request and send
you a copy of the list by email.
- All merit badge lists are password protected for security.
You will receive a password in a separate email from the Merit Badge
list. These lists should not be posted on any website.
For Current Merit Badge Counselor Lists, Contact
- Michelle Pitheon: For Chief Black Dog, Eagle River, Great Rivers, Many Waters, Northwest, and Southern Skies
- Melissa Burton: For Crow River, Lake Minnteonka, Mustang, Northern Lights, Three Rivers, and Trailblazer
- Terri Swenson: For Dan Patch, Kaposia, Metro Lakes, North Star, Silver Maple, Zulu
Their contact information can be found on this page, below/