COVID19 and Northern Star Camps, Meetings & More

Overnight Summer Camps Delayed, Day Camps Expanded, Scout Shops to Reopen, Limited Small Groups Allowed

5/19/2020 – Two important updates with more details on each under the respective tabs on this page:

  • Opening of our summer camp operations for overnight programs are delayed until July 5
  • Scout Shops and Base Camp Customer Service Drop-off/Pick-up will open on June 2

As announced on May 15, Northern Star Scouting has taken a small step away from Scouting at Home, and toward in-person den, patrol, and any group gatherings as of Monday, May 18. Per the Governor of Minnesota’s orders, and without conflict with state standards in Wisconsin, groups of young people and adult leaders that number ten or fewer and follow all social distancing (including 6' spacing) as well as self-screening safety standards may again meet in person for merit badge programs, roadside cleanups, Eagle service projects, and more.

As of now, any meeting of more than ten people in any single meeting space or outdoor gathering is not allowed by state and BSA standards.

Northern Star Scouting continues to operate primarily in a virtual capacity following State of Minnesota, Wisconsin and CDC guidelines, with a limited number of staff returning to the Leadership Center starting May 18. Here is a status summary of announcements that appear in detail on these pages:

  • All units are restricted to gatherings of 10 people of fewer following all safety guidelines
  • All council camp properties are closed at least until June 1 – Day Camps will begin in June as scheduled
  • Base Camp Leadership Center is closed to outside visitors until June 2 when Customer Service Drop/Offs/Pick-Ups will begin and Scout Shops reopen.
  • Although overnight summer camps are now delayed until July 5, we are preparing for a traditional, in-person summer camping program within the best-practice health and safety guidelines as well as continuing to prepare for alternative camping experiences, should they prove necessary.

Continue to monitor this page for updates

Looking for COVID19 and Camp Information?

Virtual Scouting Options

During this time, we'll do our best to give suggestions and guidance on ways Scouting can continue virtually (digital meetings, at-home advancement, etc). Stay tuned to this page, our new Scouting From Home Page and our social media channels for that. In addition, our Scouts BSA and Cub Scouts Facebook groups have been very active with volunteers giving tips to each other. Check them out as well!

The Twin Cities Scout Shops and Base Camp Customer Service Desk for Drop-offs/Pick-ups will open within safety guidelines on Tuesday, June 2.

The Base Camp Customer Service Desk will be open from 8 AM – 5 PM

The Base Camp Scout Shop will be open Monday – Friday from 9 AM – 5 PM and Saturday from 10 AM – 2 PM

The Mounds View and Plymouth Scout Shops will be open Tuesday – Friday 10 AM – 6 PM and Saturday, 10 AM – 2 PM

All will follow current state guidelines and social distancing practices


(Updated 5/19/2020)

Summer Camp 2020

We continue to prepare to operate our day camps as scheduled but we have delayed the opening of all overnight camps until July 5th.

All units who were scheduled to attend overnight camp in June will receive an email with rescheduling details by end of day on May 20th. Please do not contact our council staff until after you have received this email. We will be managing the entire process via an online tool. Additionally, We will not be finalizing any new or rescheduled reservations until June 1.

Camper safety continues to be our highest priority guiding our decision-making. We are still waiting for critical guidance from both the Minnesota and Wisconsin Departments of Health that will provide the path to safely reopening our camps this summer.

If camp cannot be held, we will provide impactful and creative Scouting experiences that provide the highest possible value in comparison to summer resident camp.

Read full Message from Director of Camping and Properties – from 5/19 email

weekend Camp operations

As we do not have the official ‘green light’ from either Minnesota or Wisconsin to reopen our organized campgrounds, all weekend camp operations have been suspended through June 1, 2020.

Similarly, units and families are not allowed to engage in overnight Scout camping until both states authorize campgrounds to open.

Like you, we are eagerly looking forward to when we can resume normal operations.


Even though we are still waiting for official guidance for operating overnight camps in Minnesota and Wisconsin, we are developing all types of protocols, including:

Heightened Sanitation and Cleaning: More frequent required handwashing, greater access to handwashing and hand sanitizer, additional cleaning of high touch surfaces, sanitizing program equipment between each use, elimination of self-serve dining and program supplies and additional screening protocols before travel and once arriving at camp.

Social Distancing: Camp schedules will be simplified to reduce contact among Troops and Packs, large group gatherings will be avoided, we will implement additional dining rotations and increased commissary service at our Scouts BSA camps, single person/single household tenting will be encouraged and capacities will be reduced.

All guidelines will be shared with families and unit leaders prior to camp.


Due to the current climate we understand that scheduling your annual physical examination may be difficult for those attending Many Point and Tomahawk.

The National Office of the Boy Scouts of America has announced a six-month extension of Part C (Physician Exam) of the Annual Health & Medical Record for physicals completed after February 1, 2019. This extension will only be valid for this summer as it ends on August 31, 2020.

Alternate exams, such as virtual/telephone doctor or local clinic check-up visits will be accepted for campers who did not get a physical last season, or had their physical conducted before February 1, 2019. These visits will still need to use the Annual Health and Medical Record form.

Northern Star is still working with the Health Departments of Minnesota and Wisconsin to confirm that state guidelines align with the BSA's exception.


The full payment deadline for Many Point and Tomahawk has been moved to June 15, 2020. All other planning and financial deadlines will remain in place.  

We understand that our current situation requires both flexibility and accommodation.  So, if you are unable to meet deadlines, contact our office prior to the payment due date to discuss alternate arrangements.

Cub Scout Summer Camp – contact [email protected] or 612-261-2303

Many Point & Tomahawk Scouts BSA Camps – contact [email protected] or 612-261-2460


In the unfortunate circumstance that camps are forced to close this summer, units will be given a choice to credit all fees paid toward a future reservation or receive a full refund. 

We want to ensure that all families feel safe and comfortable sending their children to camp this summer.  If a family decides to no longer attend camp due to health risk, we will refund all fees paid if the request is received by our office at least one week in advance of the start of their camp session.  Requests outside of this timeframe will be evaluated individually.  


We understand that more families may now be faced with economic hardship due to the impacts of COVID-19 on the economy. Please communicate to all that financial assistance (camperships) is available to those in need. More information can be found following the button below.


Units can meet for den meetings, patrol meetings, service projects, or outings in groups of ten or less per state guidelines. All other state guidelines with regard to social distancing and sanitizing should also be observed.

Can my unit hold our activity, meeting, or event? (Flowchart)

For guidance we are following the detailed recommendations that can be found here for reference:

Some events that have been cancelled are automatically issuing refunds.

For other events and weekend camps, we are recommending fees and deposits be carried forward to a new date. If preferred, we will make full refunds upon request.

For June camps that have been postponed, if alternative dates that work cannot be scheduled, refunds will be made.

We want to ensure that all families feel safe and comfortable sending their children to camp this summer. If a family decides to no longer attend camp due to health risk, we will refund all fees paid if the request is received by our office at least one week in advance of the start of their camp session.  Requests outside of this timeframe will be evaluated individually.

If camps are forced to close this summer, units will be given a choice to credit all fees toward a future reservation or receive a full refund.

Contact Us

Need more help or information? Try our site search and staff directory.

Printable Version Printable Version

Email to a friend Email to a friend