Bring your Unit to Fort Snelling this Winter!
Explore the visitor center
Historic Fort Snelling's Visitor Center is open this winter! Join them Thursday through Saturday from 10 am to 4pm, November 3, 2022–April 8, 2023, in the restored 1905 cavalry barracks. (Visiting the Visitor Center can be a great way to work on Citizenship Merit Badges - contact [email protected] if you'd like to plan for that.)
- Hear about the Japanese Americans who served during WWII as part of the Military Intelligence Service Language School and lived in this very building and learn some Japanese yourself.
- Help pack a bedroll for the 25th Infantry, African American soldiers who served at Fort Snelling in the 1880s.
- Learn about Bdote, the Dakota homeland where the fort is built and the fur trade business that brought the army here.
- Discover how doctors could "look" inside the human body before x-ray technology in the building that was once an outpatient clinic.
- Take the From the Windows Tour from the comfort of the visitor center which talks about the past uses of the 118-year old building as well as what soldiers would have seen from the windows throughout Fort Snelling's history.
- While you are here, enjoy beverages, snacks and sandwiches available for purchase in the museum store.
Admission is $5/person; Free for members, veterans, and Native Americans.