About Being a Merit Badge Counselor
Share Your Knowledge With Scouts
Merit badge counselors teach Scouts a variety of skills. From American Business to Woodwork, there's a badge for everything. All merit badge counselors must be registered with the Boy Scouts of America and approved by the council advancement committee for each badge listed on the Merit Badge Counselor Information form.
A qualified merit badge couselor is
- At least 18 years old
- Registered with the Boy Scouts of America
- Completes and maintains current Youth Protection training status
- Has the skills and education in the merit badge subjects covered
To get started, fill out the merit badge counselor Information form No. 34405 and attach the BSA Adult Application indicating position 42 with the signed Disclosure Form. There is no charge to register as a merit badge counselor. A copy of that form can be found on this page in the related section.
If you are NOT already a registed member with the Boy Scouts of America, you can join in two ways:
- Register as an adult leader with a local pack or troop on our Joining website
- Join as a Merit Badge Counselor only, which requires filling out an Adult Leader Application Form found on the forms section of our website. There are both English and Spanish versions available.
Submit all forms to:
Northern Star Scouting - Attn Registrar
6202 Bloomington Rd
Fort Snelling, MN 55111
or use the contact information on this page.
After being approved by the Council Advancement Committee, you will be added to the Northern Star Scouting merit badge counselor list.
- Online at www.my.scouting.org
- At the University of Scouting, fall and spring.
- Guide for Merit Badge Counseling No. 34532 can be found online
Adding and Subtracting Merit Badges
You can add or remove badges from your original list at any time. Just fill out the Merit Badge Counselor Information form and mark "A" for add and "D" for drop. Bring, mail or email the final form to the council office.
Each year, we communicate with all merit badge counselors to confirm our records. All merit badge couunselor who have lapsed in Youth Protection Training will be removed and communicated with via email about how to reregister.
How to Stop Being a Merit Badge Counselor
We're sorry to see you go, but if you decide that you can no longer be a counselor please call and talk to one of our registrars to expire your membership at 612-261-2304.