About BALOO (Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation)
Planning For Pack Outings: BALOO and Outdoor Leader Skills For Webelos Leaders
It's our goal to provide Cub Scouts of all ages with exciting and interesting outdoor activities.
To help us get there, we have Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO) and Outdoor Leadership Skills (OLS) for Webelos Leaders.
BALOO is a full day course designed as an introduction to the Cub Scout outdoor program held at the council level. Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders, offered for either one full day or a two day overnight course, takes you a step farther along the camping trail.
BALOO participants will learn:
- How to properly understand the importance of BSA camping policies
- Principles of youth protection guidelines
- Camping health and safety
- Camping site selection
- Age appropriate activities for each Cub Scout rank
- Importance of sufficient adult participation
OLS participants learn all of the above, plus:
- Proper use of wood tools
- BSA progressive outdoor program
- Fire site preparation and building
- Basic cooking and sanitation
- Use of ropes and knots
- Hiking techniques
Completion of the BALOO or OLS for Webelos Leaders course is mandatory for at least one adult on a Pack overnighter. These courses help leaders provide an exciting, uplifting, fun, and memorable camping experience for all Scouts.