Insurance Coverage: Whose Plan Is Responsible?

Make sure you're protected

The following information is meant to be a guide for volunteers and parents in the event of physical injury or property damage that is connected to an official Scouting activity.

Comprehensive General Liability Insurance

This coverage provides primary general liability coverage for registered volunteer Scouters with respect to claims arising out of an official Scouting activity, with the exception that the coverage is excess over any insurance available to the volunteer for loss arising from the ownership, maintenance, or use of a motor vehicle or watercraft. This insurance is only available while the vehicle or watercraft is in the actual use of a Scouting unit and used for a Scouting purpose. Coverage is for bodily injury and property damage.

Due to the high limits of BSA coverage, volunteers should NOT be placed in a position where their assets are jeopardized because of a negligence liability claim or lawsuit.

There is no coverage for those who commit intentional or criminal acts.

Automobile Liability Insurance

All vehicles MUST be covered by an owner's liability insurance policy. The amount of this coverage must meet or exceed the insurance requirement of the state in which the vehicle is licensed. It's recommended that coverage is at least $100,000 combined single limit. Any vehicle carrying 10 or more passengers is required to have limits of $1,000,000 combined single limit. For rented vehicles, the requirement of coverage limits can be met by combining the limits of personal coverage carried by the driver with coverage carried by the owner of the rented vehicle. All vehicles used for travel outside the United States must carry a liability insurance policy that complies with or exceeds the requirements of that country.


If you have questions related to insurance plans, please call us at 612-261-2300.

Contact us